Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nights out at the thee-ay-ter

Just like reading a shit ton will improve your vocabulary (see? I read like, y'know, lots and stuff) and give you inspiration/confidence/self-awareness when doing your own writing, I want to go to as many plays as I possibly can in order to inform my understanding of theatre and how I can add to the dialogue.
I think I did alright in 2011 in that regard, given my very limited budget and poor planning skills (thanks, beloved boyfriend, for the season subscription to Hart House Theatre!). Time to list the plays I saw!

Plays I have seen in 2011:
- Arsenic and Old Lace (Victoria College Drama Society, University of Toronto)
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Hart House Theatre)
- The Rocky Horror Show (VCDS)
- Yellow Face (Hart House in collaboration with fu-GEN)
- Lysistrata (Canopy Theatre in collaboration with Hart House)
- When Harry Met Harry (flaming locomotive productions at the Toronto Fringe Festival)
- Living with Henry (Beyond Boundaries at Toronto Fringe)
- War of the Clowns (Pea Green Theatre Company at Toronto Fringe)
- A Winter's Tale (Dream in High Park)
- The Great American Trailer Park Musical (Hart House)
- Peter and the Wolf (Theatre Rusticle)
- Matchbox Macbeth (Litmus Theatre, see my write-up here)
- Our Town (VCDS)
- The Gentleman Caller (Hart House)
- Macbeth (Hart House)
- Red (CanStage)

As I have personal ties to most of those productions I will not be reviewing them here. I will say that my professional highlights were Red, Matchbox Macbeth, Peter and the Wolf, and War of the Clowns. My favourite university show was Our Town.

I'm always up for geeking out on theatre in a less public forum if you're ever interested, imaginary reader. Plus, I'm a HUGE gossip.

Upcoming Plays I Want to See in Early 2012:
- Cabaret (Hart House)
- The Penelopiad (Nightwood Theatre)
- Penny Plain (Factory Theatre)
- Cruel and Tender (CanStage WITH ATOM EGOYAN DIRECTING)
- The Small Room at the Top of the Stairs (Tarragon Theatre)
- The Night of the Iguana (Hart House)
- The Real World? (Tarragon)

I also really want to see War Horse (Mirvish Productions). Who wants to buy me a ticket?

No comments:

Post a Comment