Saturday, January 7, 2012

Looking back to move forward


This month marks 2 years since I directed Tonight's Special, a revue showcasing David Ives' The Philadelphia, Jonathan Rand's Check, Please, and Steve Martin's (yes, that Steve Martin) Picasso at the Lapin Agile.

I was privileged to work with old friends, past collaborators, and up-and-coming talent. It was a great experience (apart from a crazy turn of events that almost left me without an Elvis [read Picasso if you don't understand]), and one of the highlights of my university career! I still regularly quote all three plays, look at production photos, and am waiting for one of my actors to hit it big so that I can take credit for his/her success somehow. And while there were definitely times when I was underprepared/overwhelmed/fucking up, I knew I could count on my hardworking and talented cast, crew, and assistant director to help see my vision through to opening night.

All this is to say that whenever I start to doubt my ideas or think that I'm not cut out for trying theatre professionally, I remind myself that not everyone can be a director or successfully supervise a project of that size. I wasn't perfect, but I think I did a pretty damn good job. And if I continue to surround myself with creative, intelligent, supportive, hardworking people, I think I'll be okay moving forward.

With that in mind, it's on to my Brechtian, minimalist, Bollywood, theatre-in-the-round version of the musical Cats. Broadway, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment